What does it mean to commit? For me, it means I’m going to take responsibility and do everything in my power to meet the commitment.
What, then, is the impact of missing a commitment you’ve made?
You’re going to damage trust when you:
- don’t do your best to meet the commitment
- make excuses or blame someone for having missed the commitment
- do little to improve and ensure you meet your commitments in the future
You’re going maintain or gain trust when:
- you do your best to meet the commitment
- You make amends for having missed the commitment
- You look for ways to do better next time (which includes not committing)
Your commitments are your responsibility. Missing a commitment is your responsibility too.
You’ve got this.